Madeira 3 Day Workshop - 17-19 Feb 2020
A three day photography tour and workshop on the stunningly beautiful island of Madeira. The pearl of the Atlantic, Madeira enjoys year long warmth and February is a great time to enjoy the island with the lush green forest and hills and dramatic coastline. Temperatures are typically up towards 20C during the day but chillier in the evening or up the mountains but weather can be changeable... which is fantastic for photography.
Normally, photography workshops tear you away from your loved ones but this workshop is a little different and scheduled at this time of year so that you and your partner can head to the island together and choose your accommodation (in the Funchal area to enable easy pickup) and when the days photography workshop is over you will be dropped back to your hotel to enjoy your evening with your partner or friends. They are welcome to join us for the day too for a small fee..please check availability on this option before paying.
Duncan has been to Madeira many times and explored a huge amount of the island by car, mountain bike and foot but will also have a local guide to take us into the areas of the island often ignored by tourists and show the fascinating Levadas and inland life.
Over the 3 days we will explore the nearly 2000 metres high mountains, visit hidden waterfalls, ancient laurel forests, cloud-falls, rugged and dramatic coastal features, beautiful and charming villages and see views that you can't see anywhere else. It will involve a small amount of hiking but most fitness abilities will cope just fine. As far as photographic equipment is concerned, just a reasonably decent interchangeable lens camera or bridge camera is required. A tripod in particular and filters would be useful too although as both a Feisol Ambassador and Kase Pro Partner these can be loaned by prior arrangement.
Duncan will choose the exact locations for the small group to visit and photograph depending on weather conditions close to the day but these can change quickly on the island and is always a surprise. Each location is magnificent though and a great opportunity to photograph the beauty of the island.
A small group of 3-6 participants will be guided by Duncan and a local Madeiran guide on the workshop. Duncan's approach is more intuitive and creative than technical but covers all aspects including:
1 - choosing locations based on weather conditions
2 - equipment choices
3 - capturing / creating the mood of the location
4 - creating the right composition
5 - getting the right exposure such as shutter speeds, aperture ISO to capture the scene
6 - getting used to shooting in Manual mode on your camera
7 - use of ND (Neutral Density) filters
This workshop will start before sunrise and finish after sunset each day so would involve fairly long days on location. Therefore appropriate clothing (and spare dry clothing) and good quality walking footwear is strongly recommended.
Bring a packed lunch and drink for the days but we will schedule in an opportunity to get food/refreshments on each day.
How to book
Make your deposit payment by clicking on the 'buy now' button and follow the payment procedure. This accepts Paypal and credit/debit card payments securely.For further details or alternative payment methods please contact.The balance will be due 28 days before the workshop date.
- experienced landscape photography tuition
- transport to & from your hotel to all locations over the 3 days
- expert local Madeiran Guide
- flights to or from Madeira
- accommodation (we can give recommendations though)
- evening meals & drinks
- travel insurance
- photographic equipment insurance
Fitness Level Required:
Total Cost: £475 per person
£100 Deposit required on booking:
Terms and conditions:
1. The outstanding balance of a workshop is due 28 days prior to the start of the workshop. DTG Photography reserve the right to treat the booking as cancelled if the balance is not paid by this time. If a booking is made 28 days or less before the workshop date, then the full amount should be paid at the time of booking.
2. Payment can be made either through this website using PayPal or if you wish to pay by bank transfer then contact me and DTG Photography can provide bank details for payment purposes.
Cancellations and re-arrangements
1. If you cancel up to 28 days before the workshop date you will receive a refund of your deposit subject to a £50 administration fee. Cancellations less than 28 days prior or not arriving on the day less will not be eligible for any refund.
2. Any cancellation must be made by email or phone call.
3. If you wish to move to a future workshop instead for any reason then DTG Photography would be happy to do so provided that you give at least 28 days notice so that your space can be resold.
1. Workshops take place on terrain and coastal areas that are sometimes uneven, slippery and rocky. Whilst every care will be taken to ensure that you are aware of the fitness level required for this, you will need to be reasonably fit and wear appropriate clothing and footwear for the season and for spending a day out in the elements;
2. Workshop agendas will be structured specifically for your stated fitness and mobility levels;
3. DTG Photography takes no responsibility for accidents, bad weather, acts of God etc. We would highly recommend personal and camera equipment insurance and can put you in touch with suppliers for these if required.
1. Unless otherwise stated accommodation and meals are not provided. You will need to bring a packed lunch and drinks with you on a full day workshop.